The 14-month reign of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds at the top of the Steam charts has come to an end, with Dark Souls: Remastered taking the crown and a madeover Raft nipping at its heels.
Battle royale spearhead PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds made it past the 60-week mark before its uninterrupted stay atop Steam’s best-seller chart game to an end.
It was the remastered edition of 7 1⁄2 year old modern classic Dark Souls, also reissued for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, that knocked PUBG off its well-defended perch, allowing players to visit or revisit the game’s iconic and beast-infested locations, from the depths of Blighttown to the heights of the Anor Londo citadel.
The original PC edition, first released in 2012, was notoriously unoptimised at launch, leading to the adoption of an unofficial community patch, DSFix, which was viewed as an essential component in restoring the Dark Souls experience.
With the arrival of Dark Souls: Remastered, which boasts a 60 frame-per-second screen refresh rate – even in the legendarily choppy Blighttown location – basic Dark Souls has been removed for sale on Steam.
In its place, existing owners are being offered a 50% discount on the revamped digital purchase, incentivising fans to double-dip for the sake of a smoother gameplay experience.
In addition to support for 4K resolution on PC, PS4, and XBO, other alterations include six-player multiplayer and the option of password-protected sessions.
With PUBG bumped down to second on Steam, it’s another remaster, Raft, that’s in third. First released as a free download from Itch.io, and a huge hit on video and streaming platforms such as YouTube and Twitch, the seaborne survival game has received a comprehensive graphical overhaul along with multiplayer connectivity, reefs and islands, and an expanded selection of items, parts, sealife and crops.
The original remains available on raft.itch.io/raft.
1. Dark Souls: Remastered
2. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
4. House Flipper
5. Wizard Of Legend
*Steam chart based on revenue rather than units.
Humble Store (humblebundle.com/store)
1. Destiny 2 – Expansion Pass
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Of The Year Edition
3. Dark Souls III
4. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
GamersGate EU (gamersgate.com)
1. Conan Exiles
2. Hitman – Game Of The Year Edition
3. Grand Theft Auto Online: Megalodon Shark Cash Card
4. Sid Meier’s Civilization V: The Complete Edition
5. Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire
1. Bento Bundle incl. Gurumin, Graze Counter
2. Killer Bundle XI incl. Forward To The Sky, ICY
3. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Bundle
4. Batman: Arkham Knight Bundle
5. All Stars X Bundle incl. Chroma Squad, Skullgirls
2. Titan Quest: Ragnarok
3. Battle Chasers: Nightwar
4. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
5. The Dwarves
Itchio‘s Most Popular (itch.io)
1. Baldi’s Basics in Education and Learning
4. The Lunatic
5. A Tale Of Paper